Cornwall attractions near Watergate Bay
Ideas for a day out in Cornwall
From ancient castles to artisan producers, famous landmarks to family fun, there are all sorts of Cornwall attractions near Watergate Bay. If you need a break from the beach and would like to explore a little more of Cornwall then take a look at some of the attractions on offer, listed in distance order from Watergate Bay
Internationally recognised reclaimed gardens on the Heligan Estate with wildlife areas and kitchen garden. Free entry to the tea room, shop and plant centre. Open daily all year round from 10am. Nr St Austell.
An all-weather, family attraction which includes a licensed bar and restaurant, a covered courtyard and a Civil and Naval Prison housing a museum within its walls, all split over the jail’s six levels.
Sub Tropical valley gardens with over 4 miles of footpaths, trails and play areas leading down to a private beach. Seasonal events. Family and dog friendly. Open every day from 10am. Nr Falmouth.
Within 5 miles of Watergate Bay
- Carnewas and Bedruthan Steps – Spectacular rock stacks with a National Trust shop and café, near Padstow
- Waterworld – Tropical fun pool and swimming pool in Newquay
- Newquay Riding Stables – Riding stables offering lessons and group rides from novice to experienced riders. Trenance Leisure Centre, Newquay.
- Oasis Fun Park – Family fun with indoor and outdoor pools, flume rides and toddler area. Hendra Holiday Park, Newquay.
- Classic Air Force – Aircraft museum offering flights. Climb onboard and view the vintage aircraft exhibits. St Mawgan, near Newquay.
- Blue Reef Aquarium – Newquay’s indoor aquarium, café and gift shop. Join in with the daily talks and feeds and stand in the tunnel whilst sharks swim over you! Towan Promenade, Newquay.
- Indoor Bowls – 10 pin bowling and burger bar. Hotel California, 32 Pentire Crescent, Newquay.
Over 5 miles but within 10 miles of Watergate Bay
- Trerice – Elizabethan Manor House and gardens (National Trust).
Kestle Mill, near Newquay.
- Dairyland Farm World – Adventure Park, museum, play barn, nature trails, café and indoor play area. Summercourt, Newquay.
- Lappa Valley – Three mini railways, boating lake, maze, play trails & refreshments. St Newlyn East, Newquay.
- Springfields Pony Centre – Play barn, pets area and plenty of ponies waiting to be groomed or ridden! St Columb Major, Newquay.
- Cornish Birds of Prey Centre – View birds of prey or take part in a falconry experience day. Meadowside Farm, St Columb.
- Holywell Bay Fun Park – Bouncy castle, trampolines, go-karts and other rides. Open March – October. Holywell Bay.
- The Stones – a front garden converted to a mini stone-henge like display. Seven Sisters, Tresallyn Cross, St Merryn.
- Screech Owl Sanctuary – Owl sanctuary with farm animals & children’s play area and tea room. Treewin Farm, St Columb.
- Camel Valley Adventure Park – Fun adventure park with indoor and outdoor rides, animals and more! Tredinnick, Wadebridge.
- Tina’s Riding Stables – Situated close to Harlyn Bay offering beach rides and lessons for beginners to advanced riders. St Merryn.
- Prideaux Place – Elizabethan manor house and deer park overlooking the Camel Estuary. Padstow.
- National Lobster Hatchery – Marine conservation centre where you can learn about and adopt lobsters! Padstow.
Between 10 and 20 miles from Watergate Bay
- Padstow Museum – The Institute, Market Place, Padstow.
- Callestick Farm – Ice Cream Farm, tea room & shop. Callestick, Truro.
- Healey’s Cornish Cyder Farm – Cider production, petting farm, shop and refreshments. Penhallow, Truro.
- Wheal Martyn China Clay Country Park – Interactive displays, preserved Victorian china clay works and a working water wheel with café, gift shop and children’s woodland play area. Carthew, St Austell.
- Royal Cornwall Museum – Truro.
- Trewithen House & Gardens – Historic Trewithen estate with beautiful gardens. House open to the public on certain days. Grampound Road, Truro.
- Kidzworld Cornwall – 20,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor children’s play area. Stadium Retail Park, Par Moor Rd, St Austell.
- Charlestown Shipwreck and Heritage Centre – Maritime museum with ship wreck collection. St Austell.
- Camel Valley Vineyard – Take a tour of the vineyards. Nanstallon, Bodmin.
- Cornwall Gold – Gold and Pearl collections with jewellery and bespoke pieces. Also family activities, a bear factory and tin mine. Near Redruth.
Historic house and gardens with café, gift and plant shop. Children’s play and pet area. Bodmin.
Under an hour from Watergate Bay
East Pool Mine – Cornish tin mine engine. Nr Redruth.
Cornwall’s Regimental Museum – Regimental uniforms, artefacts, weapons and medals exhibitions. Bodmin.
Bodmin and Wenford Railway – Board a vintage steam train for the 13 mile round trip. General Station, Bodmin.
Trelissick Garden – 30 acres of gardens, café and shop (National Trust). Feock, near Truro.
Heartlands – Sculptures, exhibitions, gardens and play areas at a World Heritage site. Redruth.
Restormel Castle – Circular Norman shell keep (English Heritage). Lostwithiel.
Lanhydrock – Victorian country house, woodland and gardens (National Trust). Bodmin.
Caerhays Estate – Castle, garden, beaches & National Magnolia Collection. Gorran, Nr St Austell.
King Edward Tin Mine – Tin mine with museum and mill. Camborne.
St Catherine’s Castle – Artillery fort, Fowey Harbour.
North Cornwall Museum & Gallery – The Clease, Camelford.
Falmouth Art Gallery – Art gallery for all the family. Falmouth.
Tate St Ives – Art gallery with visitor centre, shop and café. Porthmeor Beach, St Ives.
The Arthurian Centre – A centre dedicated to the legend of King Arthur. Slaughter Bridge, Camelford.
NMMC – Maritime exhibitions and activities for all the family. Open daily. Falmouth.
Tintagel Post Office – National Trust Victorian Post Office. Fore Street, Tintagel.
Tintagel Castle – The castle and legendary birthplace of King Arthur (English Heritage). Castle Road, Tintagel.
Pendennis Castle – Tudor Fortress (English Heritage).
Polmartin Riding Stables – BHS Approved Riding School and Training Centre. Polmartin Farm, Nr Herodsfoot, Liskeard.
St Mawes Castle – Restored tudor military fortress (English Heritage). Nr Truro.
Paradise Park – Wildlife Park plus a petting farm and indoor Jungle Barn Play Centre. Paradise Park, Hayle.
Gendurgan Gardens – National Trust garden situated on the Helford River. Mawnan Smith, near Falmouth.
The Lizard Stallions Carriage and Stud Co – Shire horse and carriage rides around the cobbled streets of Truro.
Just over an hour from Watergate Bay
Poldark Mine – A complete underground mine open to the public. Tenear, Wendron, Helston.
Flambard’s – Rides and attractions plus exhibitions including a Victorian village. Helston.
Museum of Witchcraft – Witchcraft exhibition and collection. The Harbour, Boscastle.
National Seal Sanctuary – The rescue, rehabilitation and release centre for seals with café. Gweek.
Godolphin – National Trust medieval gardens and historic house which was one of the most important in Europe in its heyday. Helston.
Minack Theatre – open air theatre overlooking the sea. Gardens, exhibition, shop and café. Porthcurno, Penzance.
St Michael’s Mount – Reached via a causeway at low tide, the island is famous for its legends of giants. Sub-tropical gardens and castle. Marazion.
Chysauster Ancient Village – Ancient iron age village (English Heritage). Penzance.
Polgoon Vineyards – Cornish cider, wine, juice maker. And hamper maker. Tours available. Rosehill, Penzance.
Trenance Chocolate Factory – Visit the chocolate shop and factory and watch luxurious Belgian chocolates being made. Helston .
Tregwainton Gardens – Explore 25 acres of gardens including woodland paths and a kitchen garden (National Trust). Penzance.
Hidden Valley – Explore the adventures and trails, take a ride on the miniature railway or visit the tea rooms. Tredidon, St Thomas, Launceston.