Kids love Watergate Bay
Seaside fun with a bucket and spade
Holiday in Watergate Bay with the kids and you might not need to go anywhere else! Miles of golden sand, rock pools and waves can keep tiddlers to teens happy. Crab watching, wave jumping, shell hunting, burying Dad up to his neck in the sand or sand sculpting can while away the hours. In this gadget techno age, a traditional bucket and spade holiday with some seaside charm can be just what the doctor ordered.
At Watergate Bay a beach shop with buckets, spades and ice cream is on hand and there are plenty of child friendly eateries – there’s no need for sandy sandwiches! The beach Hut, Jamie Oliver’s Fifteen Restaurant and Zachry’s all have dedicated children’s menus which will inspire even the fussiest eater whilst a little further up from the beach there’s a pub and take away café.
For older children O’Neill Surf Academy run ‘Kids Only Surf Lessons’ during the summer holidays. Suitable for 6 – 12 year olds, instructors teach water safety as well as those all important surfing skills. Parents can book their surf lessons separately! Surf lessons are available all year round and equipment is available to hire. RNLI lifeguards also patrol the beach from Easter through to the end of September.
Watergate Bay isn’t just for the summer though. Sand angels, sand writing, rock-pooling and stone sorting are just as good in welly boots and a winter coat and nothing can beat a crisp brisk walk followed by an Extreme Hot Chocolate at The Beach Hut! The more adventurous (or if you really want to wear them out) you may like to try a cliff top walk and take to the south west coast path.
If you’d like to mix up your beach holiday a little bit then there’s lots of great child centred attractions (which adults will love!) close by:
- Eden Project – housing the biggest indoor biomes in the world. There’s hands on fun, storytelling and lots to see and learn.
- Blue Reef Aquarium, Newquay – from sharks to seahorses, visit an underwater world.
- Newquay Zoo – watch and learn about the animals with daily feeds and keepers talks.
- The Lost Gardens of Heligan – children’s trails, animals and gardens to explore.
- Dairyland Farmworld – an all weather farm adventure park.
- The Camel Trail – hire bikes and explore the off road trail from Wadebridge to Padstow.
- National Lobster Hatchery – head to Padstow and find out about these little sea creatures.
- Screech Owl Sanctuary – rescue centre with daily talks and handling sessions.